Saturday, June 29, 2019

Textiles and Natural Dyes

Project #2


Artist Statement

This project was inspired by my first clothing piece, which was centered around the male to female transgender experience, but this one communicates more about the female to male transgender experience. I was interested in creating this shirt as a continuation piece of the initial project because I kept thinking about how our society functions around store-bought, pre-made clothing that is suited for generalized bodies. However, people who don't easily fall within the binary or who have to undergo a medical transition in order to feel connected with the body they inhabit often encounter difficulty with their clothing choices. I chose to spend time dyeing cotton with natural indigo baths to get a nice blue tonality with subtle variations, as the color choices are also very significant in terms of gender representation. After cutting everything to fit the pillow as I did for my initial piece, I used a sewing machine for the sleeves and collar and hand stitched the strip of fabric that would usually hold the buttons onto the shirt. I chose to leave seams showing, threaded ends frayed, and the shirt to exist without buttons, which indicates that there is no way to get in or out of the shirt. This all connects to my personal experience and observations of being trans.

Research

  • In process photos of experimenting with indigo




 Final Images





No comments:

Post a Comment